MARCH #1 Movie mental

Films, flicks, pictures, cinema! March is a great international films festival month and it really would be a shame to miss out...

HUMAN RIGHTS WATCH FILM FESTIVAL, MARCH 13-22, 2013
http://ff.hrw.org/london

My top picks:


In the Shadow of the Sun
March 15, 2013 Curzon, Soho
March 21, 2013 Ritzy, Brixton

...Get some insight on the plight of individuals with albinism living in modern day Tanzania




Wadjda
March 22, 2013 Ritzy, Brixton

..a little girl in Saudi Arabia fights for her dreams...I missed this last year so really looking forward :-)



DOC HOUSE PRESENTS, MARCH 14, 2013
http://fireintheblood.com/screenings

Fire in the Blood
March 14, 2013 Riverside Studios, Hammersmith

...the fight to deliver drugs to HIV patients continues..this one I think I will have to make time for!





PREVIEW: THE UPCOMING IMAGES OF BLACK WOMEN  (IBW) FESTIVAL

http://www.picturehouses.co.uk/cinema/Ritzy_Picturehouse/film/The_Education_Of_Auma_Obama/

The Education of Auma Obama
March 28, 2013 Ritzy, Brixton

...had dismissed this as some kind of Obama spin-off but thankfully my friends' made me look again...glad its back again this year! Book before 12/03/13 and bag a half-price screening to another IBW film.




LONDON ASIAN FILM FESTIVAL, MARCH 7-17, 2013

http://www.tonguesonfire.com/

My top picks:

Valley of Saints
March 8, 2013 Harrow Atrs Centre, Uxbridge





English Vinglish
March 14, The Nehru Centre, Central London

...light-hearted, uplifting and FREE!




PAN ASIAN FILM FESTIVAL, MARCH 6-17, 2013
http://www.panasiafilmfestival.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=1&Itemid=5

My top picks:

Patang
March 17, 2013 Cine Lumiere, South Kensington










Poor Folk
March 17, 2013 Cine Lumiere, South Kensington






3 comments:

  1. In the Shadow of the Sun:
    O.M.G! I have not met anyone as inspiring as Josephat in a long time. Fighting for the freedom and social integration of individuals living with albinism, I was in tears watching him make his dream come true. As he rightly put it, crying (which he too has also done a lot of) is just not the answer.
    This certainly challenged me to address my own 'impossibilities' and to truly reach out to others who are not as fortunate as I happen to be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wadjda:
    Predictable perhaps, but watching the developing friendship between the kids does make it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Education of Auma Obama:
    I confess I did not go there anticipating to learn much of Auma's career, but more to see what I could gleam of her famous brother Barack. Their father's drive is evidently shared by both and it was a pleasure to catch sight of some early videos of Barack and Michelle. It was also absorbing to see a little known village anxiously thrust into the limelight during the U.S.A presidential election in 2008. Director Branwen Okpako attended the Q&A, and it was interesting to learn this film was the realisation of a vision Branwen and Auma shared while at film school in their earlier years.

    ReplyDelete