OCT#1: The BFI Festival Is Here Again!

57th BFI LONDON FILM FESTIVAL, OCT 9 - 20, 2013 VARIOUS VENUES
http://www.bfi.org.uk/lff

Really excited about this one and have selected a few faves:
Half of a Yellow Sun, Oct 19 - 20, 2013 
Ok, I'll admit I am a poor reader and still racing to finish the book, but all my great friends tell me how great a writer Chimamanda Adichie is and this one I cannot wait to see!
Tickets sold out super fast and I hear there may be another general release or you could just turn up and hope someone with a ticket does not :-)





12 Years a Slave, Oct 18 - 20, 2013
Gooooo Lupita!
Forget that Chitwetel Ejiofor and Brad Pitt are a part of the cast!
This slavery epic stars Kenyan-bred Lupita Nyong'o and I cannot wait to see her doing her thing on an even bigger screen!



Grigris, Oct 15 & 17, 2013
Never have I seen a film set in Chad!
A photographer and a model inter-twinned in the criminal underground of the city should make this one worthwhile!







Gone too far! Oct 18 - 20, 2013
The spotlight is on Peckham again! This should be a rib-tickler!





And several others including:
Of Good Report - South Africa; Sixteen - Congo/London; Mother of George - Nigeria/USA; B for Boy - Nigeria; Siddharth - India

4 comments:

  1. 12 Years a Slave:
    Told from the perspectives of an affluent family man suddenly captured into slavery and of a young woman already trying to survive it, the film brilliantly epitomizes the hopeless desperation the two are in, and their incessant yet life-threatening desire to escape it by any means.
    Something somewhere however gives them hope...On the outside, 'Platt' yearns to regain his identity and reunite with his family while on the inside Patsey hopes that her astounding hard work will at the very least buy her an ounce of a 'break'.

    While I did not cry and know a few who did, I do feel the film really did absorb me in the characters' eternal hope, supportive relationships and disheartening betrayal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For even more of the film's European premiere, here's what CoolOnDemand had to say!

      http://givemecool.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/12-years-slave-london-premiere-with.html

      Delete
  2. Half of a Yellow Sun:
    Amazing!
    Along with a few members of the cast including Chiwetel Ejiofor (Odenigbo), the author, Chimamanda herself joined the Q&A at the end!
    Having finished the book just hours before seeing the film, I understand her saying that although she had to let the film people do their thing, she felt like her 'baby' had been cut into little pieces.
    While the 'High Life' pre-war episode may have felt reltively rushed, the post-war Biafran attacks were startlingly brought to life. I also felt Chiwetel played Odenigbo extremely well and just having seen him in '12 Years a Slave' the previous day, I must say I am fast becoming a bigger fan!
    While I grew to love Ugwu from the the book, I feel, rather disappointingly, his story remains told.

    Nevertheless, I do agree with Chimamanda - with its crisp picture, colourful cast and fitting soundtrack, this makes a very enjoyable film.
    Go and see it, I beg!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loving your reviews....will definitely check out 12 years a slave.

    I had the pleasure of also attending the premier of Half of a Yellow Sun (thanks to you know who ;)

    As someone who hasn't read the book but is mostly aware of the war, it was both stunning and eye-opening to see it brought to life. I applaud Biyi Bandele for the beautiful and clean cinematography...Nigeria has never looked so glorious.

    Chiwetel did an awesome job, Anika Noni Rose was fierce as hell and Onyeka Owenu was glorious! So many bits to love. Thandie did a good job too but her accent kept on pulling me out of her scenes.

    All in all a great film and I'm on a campaign to recommend to everyone!

    ReplyDelete